The infographic above shows some of the symptoms experienced by low thyroid hormone or Hypothyroidism. A blood test is needed to confirm this diagnosis. A blood test will check the levels of TSH (Thyroid stimulating hormone – which is exactly what is says it is. A hormone released from the pituitary gland in the brain). This in turn stimulates the thyroid gland to produce T3 and T4 which are then released. The normal thyroid gland produces about 80% T4 and about 20% T3, however, T3 possesses about four times the hormone “strength” as T4. Therefore T4 needs to be converted to T3 in most instances to be a usable form in the body. In some cases an underactive thyroid can be caused by an auto immune disease (in which the immune system turns against and attacks the body’s own tissues). Hashimoto’s disease or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the thyroid.
Here are some natural supplements that can be taken for an Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s:
- Zinc – this will help to properly covert T4 to T3, which will help to increase the levels of T3 in the blood which will help to reduce the TSH levels. Zinc also lowers the level of inflammation in the thyroid.
- Selenium – it reduces thyroiditis (which is the inflammation and enlargement of the thyroid gland) and it also reduces thyroid antibodies which it what causes autoimmune disease of the thyroid (antibodies attack the thyroid gland making it inflamed and enlarged)
- Probiotics and kefir – you need to support your gut – most diseases starts from the imbalance of the gut. Kefir will help to promote proper thyroid hormone conversion which happens in the gut.
- Vitamin D – this is essential for all autoimmune diseases
- Ashwaganda – this is a herb that helps to manage stress. Although you might not feel ‘stressed’ sometimes mental, emotional and physical stress can increase cortisol levels which can increase TSH. This herb will also help to calm that part of your immune system that’s overactive.
- Vitamin B12 – if you feel fatigue. When you have decreased thyroid hormone it can reduce the amount of stomach acid which is needed for B12 production in the body
Things that you need to avoid: Echinacea, green tea, acai, astragalus, licorice – these are just some natural products that you must avoid as they stimulate the immune system whereas in the case of an autoimmune disease we are trying to calm it down. Don’t feel alarmed by this as it does not mean it makes your immune system weaker (making you more prone to sickness) it is just to calm down a certain part of your immune system which is overactive at the moment.
Hypothyroidism has become more prevalent but with the correct treatment or supplementation and diet it can be properly managed.